Friday, December 11, 2009

Today was my second day of work as a jeweler's apprentice. I like the idea of being an apprentice - I get paid to learn. My boss (master?) is very trusting in my abilities. I have 4 jobs that I am working on right now. One is to make a pair of heart earrings out of gold. I learned how to roll gold, through a big pasta machine type press, then I cut it with a saw frame, file it, and polish it. Today I worked on making an ingot of gold into a wire via lots and lots of rolling through the press. The press is powered by a large (manual) crank, so my crankin' arm may be a little sore tomorrow. The ingot started out about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. The wire that I ended up with is about 5 feet long and about a 1mm thick square.
Tomorrow I get to melt gold and pour an ingot, pull the wire I made (which is currently square) into round wire, cut that wire into little rings and solder them together and onto my heart earrings, and probably lots more.
While I can't wait to get into work to see what I get to learn, it's really strange to be away from home for an entire day. I haven't not been at home for over 3 years, and never for 8 hours at a time. Luckily, I'm only working 3 days a week. I hope it becomes more comfortable, this is only the 2nd day.

No comments: