Saturday, March 8, 2008

A great substitute

I love sweets, more than life sometimes. The year that I gave up sweets for Lent will always be branded on my mind as one of life's most memorable and trying experiences. It was like 6 weeks of childbirth.

But that is beside the point. The point is that I love sweets and I love making them. However, most cookie and brownie recipes call for a ton of butter or oil. I just don't like all the greasiness, it seems excessive most of the time. I usually use applesauce for 1/2 of the fat. It's a good substitute, but I have found better... the secret is yogurt. Plain, lowfat yogurt. It works wonderfully and gives the finished product a little extra flavor like using buttermilk would. I made chocolate chip cookie recipe like this and baked it in a 9x13 in. pan. The result was great, flavorful, tender, a bit healthier. I urge you to try.

2 comments:

Kalin said...

Marissa, is that you?

-M said...

Yes Lil....yes....