Saturday, November 15, 2008

I was a crash test dummy

Yesterday I was headed to Peoria to do some shopping. I picked up my big one from school and started driving. I had originally planned to go to my parents' house to drop off some piano info for my mom, but the info I had was outdated. I kept feeling like I should go there, so I called Mom to see of she was ok. She was, and actually wasn't even home so I continued on. On the way out of town I considered turning around in 4 different spots, but I couldn't rationalize doing it. In fact, the whole drive there I kept thinking, "well, I could go to Walmart, or Kroger, or Goodwill, or somewhere." But I didn't have a reason to. I was very focused on driving and even had to remind my daughters a few times that I couldn't read things or look because I was driving. PLUS, when I got into Peoria, I was reliving when I got rear-ended in my Jeep and the hitch really trashed the other car.
2 miles later I look over to see a new restaurant and when I looked back, WHAM! I barely had time to slam on my brakes when I hit the tailgate of a truck. The guy driving it was trying to turn left from the left lane of a 4 lane road when he should have been in the turn lane. The car in front of him stopped, so he stopped with the bed of his truck half way in the lane. I looked away for a moment and then I hit him.
The thing was, once it happened I thought, "oh great, THIS is why I wasn't supposed to be here!" Good grief, how much more of a sign did I need?
The airbags deployed and the driver's side corner of the Jeep was pushed back against the wheel. The windshield cracked and the radiator was busted too, so the front end is probably shot. I smashed it and I smashed it good!
The girls are ok, they aren't even sore today. I'm ok, my neck is stiff today, but not too bad. I don't think that we really hit that hard. It felt like my cheek just brushed the airbag.
So, what have I learned from this?
Don't tempt fate.
There's probably a reason that you're getting a million messages to not do something.
My guardian angels were working overtime and they're probably a little peeved at me.
God is really, really, really good and I am thankful for that!

No comments: