Saturday, January 10, 2009

What did we have for supper tonight? Pizza and donuts. It may have been excessively greasy, but it was equally as excessively delicious and delightful.
I'm working on my homemade pizza. I have figured out the sauce and the cheese. The crust is getting there, but it still needs a little work. Tonight's pizza was some of the best that I've made, but there was still plenty of room for improvement, i.e. pre-cooking the crust.
The donut portion of our meal was courtesy of foodgawker. The original post was about frying biscuit dough to make donuts. Surprise, it works! I was a little wary of the idea because biscuit dough is riddled with little bits of fat and then to fry it seemed like it could be too much. And it may have been. The best part, however, was my little sister's idea to use cinnamon rolls. They fried up into delicate little greasy treasures that was filled with uncooked dough (because they were thick) that was like pudding. Slap a little cream cheese frosting on that and presto! Death a little sooner than was previously expected.
All in all it was a treat. Or rather a treat after a treat after a treat until we had to roll ourselves to bed. It did solidify the fact that I may not own a deep fryer, ever. It would be too dangerous for me and my loved ones.

2 comments:

April said...

We had pizza for lunch today and I was just seriously getting ready to post the recipe for the crust. I think we have perfected the white flour crust. The whole wheat version of the crust is good, but not as good as the deliciousness of the white flour.

The Ocean State Sayler Family Blog said...

These sound awesome! How you all keep from getting to be 300 lbs is amazing since you are such a wonderful baker. Move aside Paula Dean.

But more importantly, I am happy to see frequent posting from you!!