Monday, May 17, 2010

Unbelievably Low-Sugar Ice Cream

Over the past month I have been working hard at reducing my sugar intake because 70% of what I usually eat is sugar. I use stevia, which is an herb, to sweeten things. It's a different kind of sweetness than that of sugar and you have to use a good brand or else it can be terribly bitter. I use KAL stevia powder and I only use a pinch at a time. The best results that I have had are when I use stevia in addition to a greatly-reduced amount of sugar. For example, when I make banana bread the recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups sugar but I use about 1/3 cup of sugar and a couple of pinches of stevia. You really can't tell the difference.
So, I have developed a killer ice cream recipe for Berry Cheesecake ice cream. You can modify this in several different ways to make lots of different varieties, but basically, you don't have to have lots of sugar to have good ice cream.

Mixed Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream
(use any variety of fruit, frozen or fresh [frozen helps to speed up the freezing process of the ice cream])

1 pkg Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup ricotta (optional, if you can find a good, smooth brand, there's no reason not to use it)
1/2 t almond extract
1 t vanilla
2 T fruit-sweetened jam (you could use store-bought, homemade, or sugar, honey, or syrup if you're not making a fruit ice cream)
stevia to taste (I'd start with a pinch and work up from there. I use about 3 pinches total.)
Beat until smooth
2 eggs (use farm eggs unless you want salmonella)
Beat until smooth
2 cups cream
Beat until smooth
(I would taste it to make sure it's sweet enough, you could always add more stevia at this point, though the fruit will make it a little sweeter, too.)

Let it chill in the fridge for a while and then process it in your ice cream maker like any other kind. I add the frozen berries after a couple minutes of processing, but you could probably add them at any time.

The finished product is delicious and not lacking in flavor at all. My kids and husband both loved it (in fact, it was dubbed 'the best ice cream to date') before I even revealed it's low-sugar status!
Enjoy!

8 comments:

syndrynelf said...

lets try these healthy products http://www.careco.com.my
We care we share ;)

Shana said...

I've got another one for you. All natural, NO sugar added. All you need is a frozen banana and a blender!

http://shana-100lbsandcounting.blogspot.com/2010/05/banana-icecream.html

Henry said...

Adding of banana and bread absorb the sugar, that's why decrease the quantity of sugar percentage.

Dawn said...

oh yum...just came across your blog and saw this recipe. Need to try it out tomorrow I think:)
Thanks for sharing!
Sweet blog:)
dawn

EFamily said...

Have you tried Xylitol? It's so close to real sugar and it behaves just like sugar. It is also a plant. I used Stevia at first when I had to remove sugar from my diet for health reasons but Xylitol has been my dream come true. I buy it in bulk off Amazon Fresh delievered right to my door at a discount since I order a case at a time. Check it out.

Unknown said...

Thank you for adding healthy products in your blog,a nice blog indeed.

www.gallery67.com

Jenn said...

I know all of our sugar intake is really an issue this is good.

Jenn

http://www.momentsofelegance.com

Moving Companies in Virginia said...

Low sugar Ice cream is good for all but it is better for diabetic patient. It will be very popular because in the world 40% are under this disease.

Local Movers in VA