Monday, June 22, 2009

I think that the time change is making my sister feel pretty triumphant. Today she woke up at 7:15 after going to bed around 9:30, just like civilized people in the Midwest!
Yesterday we had a very touristy day. We went to the rose test gardens, which were beautiful and very fragrant. I'll have to post pictures when we get home.
Afterwards we attempted to find Chinatown, which we eventually did. We had lunch and then navigated our way out of the city. Portland driving is kind of scary: their roads are seemingly made of rocks with some asphalt mixed in, so they're very loud; there's lots of traffic; there are some pretty scary bridges. But I have my trusty navigator with me, so we made it around ok.
We headed to the coast and after an excessive amount of mountains we finally got there. We did find a French cheese shop that had brie samples. We ended up doubling back and getting some peppered brie and a baguette for supper. In addition to the cherries we picked up it was very tasty!
Today, since we are getting an early start, we have endless possibilities. We'll probably head South and start driving up the coast.
I have to keep reminding myself that it's only Monday and we have 5 full days left. There's no hurry.

1 comment:

GS Rose said...

Sounds like fun. Our big thing was to go up to Mount Hood (I think that is the one) and play in the snow and then drive to the coast and stick our toes in the ocean in the same day. Just to say we did. I LOVE the coast there. Yeah, terrain a little different than Midwest.