Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake

Early this morning I was awakened. Not by a kid yelling that she needed a drink, or needed to go peeps, or a baby falling off the bed, or kicking me in the neck. I woke up because our house was wobbling side to side and it felt like it was on a pool of jello. My body was swaying back and forth and I could hear the house shifting about. It wasn't a jerky motion at all, it was gentle and jiggly. I lay there feeling it and wondering first if it was wind, then realizing it must be an earthquake. I wondered if my husband who was asleep in the guest room (I've been sick) was awake. But mostly I worried that if I woke up and found out that there wasn't an earthquake that we'd have to move out of our house pronto because that could only mean that some house-wobbling ghosts had moved in.

No comments: