Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shopping Bags

If there is one thing that I feel more guilty about than frequenting Wal-Mart it is the loads of plastic shopping bags that accompany those trips. The small cloth bag that stores them in my kitchen isn't cutting it anymore. I've literally taken garbage bags full of shopping bags out of my house recently.

So, this last weekend I made another step into the green and fashioned myself several reusable shopping bags. I bought 3 yards of ripstop nylon that was on sale for $4 a yard. I figured it would be tough, lightweight, washable, etc. I practiced with a couple of ideas that took far too long and looked far too shabby then I finally happened upon an idea that proved easy to cut out, put together, and hopefully durable enough for my hefty shopping.

This is my super sophisticated pattern for you to follow. I was an art major in college, can you tell? I started with a square of fabric that was folded over (that's the bottom seam.) Then I cut out the white parts and sewed the blue lines. Around the handle and the top of the bag was just overcasting to prevent the nylon from fraying. The sides I sewed together with an overcast stitch, then I folded the seam over and stitched over it with a more durable stitch. There's an official term for this, I'm sure, but I don't know what it is. I also squared off the bottom by folding in the bottom corners. What? Never mind. If you really want me to explain it to you call me and I'll tell you. (Or if you're not related to me and you want to know how, post a comment.)

No comments: