Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Birthday Cake

I made a really really really good cake for my birthday. It's called a "Better Than Sex Cake." I have made a different version of this involving yellow cake, sour cream, lots of butter, chocolate, nuts, and cream cheese frosting. It is a favorite around here and I may post that recipe later. But I was perusing online recipes and this one came up and it was indeed fantastic.
It calls for a Devil's Food cake and you can use a mix, but I used a recipe from online that turned out well. You need a can of sweetened condensed milk, a jar of caramel ice cream topping, a bag of toffee bits, and a container of whipping cream. In a saucepan combine the milk and caramel (leave about 1/4 the jar of caramel to decorate with) and let it warm up and mix together. After you bake the cake as directed, you let it cool for 5 minutes then poke holes all over it with a wooden spoon handle. Pour the caramel mixture all over the cake and let it soak in. Then sprinkle the toffee bits on top while it's still warm. Refrigerate it for a few hours or a day or however long. The longer it sits, the more the cake soaks up the liquid. Whip the cream up with a little sugar and vanilla, but don't make it too sweet because the cake is super sweet. Top the cake with the whipped cream, drizzle on the rest of the caramel, sprinkle on some toffee (if you saved some.) It's delicious, like a giant candy bar. Rissy would call it rich.

2 comments:

April said...

That's the version that I've made before. Only with a mix. And Cool Whip. I took it to church and tried to avoid letting anyone say the name of it.

So did you just make it for Jake or did you indulge, too? And then... how is Lirah?

Kalin said...

I thought you only made Better Than Love Cake?!

I thought of you tonight because I put some vegetables in some ramen noodles, and that seemed liked something you would do.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I haven't been ignoring your blog in silent disapproval. I just didn't check that email for a couple weeks so I didn't know about it since you didn't tell me about it in our phone conversations. I know that you were consumed by fascination at my tales of food poisoning, but you could have mentioned something...