Friday, January 18, 2008

Whole wheat 101

When I cook I prefer to use whole wheat flour. By "prefer" I mean that I almost exclusively use it. I make whole wheat bread, muffins, cookies, brownies, and crackers. I even make whole wheat gravy. This is mostly because I don't have other flour on hand, but it works just as well. However, there are very few exceptions when I do use regular flour. These being: gifts for other people (who have less of an appreciation for whole wheat) and recipes that just do not work with whole wheat (angel food cake being the primary example.) White flour seems like a waste of nutrients and I have come to prefer the taste and texture of whole wheat. I like my pasta hearty, my muffins dense and grainy, and my cookies questionably darker than their less nutritious counterparts.

No comments: