Friday, January 18, 2008

The present and the future

Last night I was online during my moments of solitude (when everyone is asleep) and I happened upon this set of questions to ask yourself about where you are now.

How much time to I spend on enjoyable activities?
What are these activities?
What feelings occupy most of my time?
What thoughts occupy most of my time?
What activities occupy most of my time?
What types of activities do I now do to help me cope with stress, conflicts, and difficult emotions?

How much time is allotted for growth and development?
How much time do I spend alone, with others?
Is this time enjoyable? Fulfilling?
How much time is spent on activities that challenge and excite?
What are these activities?
How many of my day's activities would I rather not be doing?


All of my answers were like, "I never spend any time doing enjoyable things." "There is no time for growth." "I would rather not be doing any of my daily activities." And so forth.
Then you meditate on a future time and answer the same questions. I realized that while my general sense of the present in dark, boring, and stifling, my vision for the future was basically me dancing through a sun-lit world being creative and loving and happy. It was sad really, how awful I felt about my present situation. But it was nice to have a glimps of a future that could be fairly near.

1 comment:

April said...

Oh, Lilli. Giving you hugs from here.
And a fruity alcoholic drink.