Thursday, May 22, 2008

House Inspection

We had a house inspection done yesterday afternoon. When we made our offer, we made it subject to the inspection as well as radon and mold. If there was anything wrong with the house we can either have the seller fix it or negotiate a new price. It went pretty well, except for the large, wet, rotting corner in the finished basement. No, it really isn't a big deal. We're having it tested for mold and then we'll take it from there. Like I said, this is all stuff that we can have fixed before we buy it. If the test came back and said that the whole basement was infested with mold spores and there's so much radon that we might die having been there twice, then I'd be worried. But at this point, it's fixable. The inspector also pointed out the unsafe deck that needs to be fixed, pronto. That is something that my husband, his dad, and cousins will be thrilled to tackle. Then there's some electrical issues that we'll have fixed by the seller, too.

Even though my husband turned pale as I rehashed all of this, I'm not in the slightest bit worried about it. What can you expect? Houses age and benefit from near constant attention. This has been lived in for 15 years and probably hasn't had much attention. It needs some fixing up, but if it didn't, we wouldn't be able to afford it, so that's responsibility I'm happy to assume.

No comments: