Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dairy diary

Dairy products and I have a history. It begins somewhere around my eating butter by the finger full or using oyster crackers as a vessel for butter or sneaking half and half packets from any restaurant and drinking them in the back seat or doing the same with butter pats for that matter or begging to drink the cream that accompanied Dad's coffee....mmmm.

Wow, anyways, we've had our ups and downs. There was a time when I was known as 'Lactar' when I had a terrible time with lactose intolerance. Then most recently there was the year that I had to mostly abstain from dairy for the sake of my nursing babe. Oh, that was hard. There are some psychological repercussions that I'm still working through with that one. This may be reason #5732 why I'm done having kids.

We're good now, dairy and I. In fact we've entered into perhaps the most glorious phase of our relationship. I've started getting local raw milk that has exceeded any dream of fantastic milk that I may have had. It is simply the most delicious milk I have ever tasted. My family and I have turned into milk gluttons. We buy 3 gallons a week and from that I get enough cream to make ice cream and lighten my coffee, milk to make yogurt, and milk to drink. (If it were worth it, I'd make butter too, but it takes too much of my precious cream to do so.)

Hopefully dairy and I will be mutually affectionate from here on out. I don't care to give it up again. The idea of veganism was once appealing, but it is not for me. Neither are selfless acts of baby love anymore, for that matter.

1 comment:

April said...

Somehow I missed this post originally. I thought your nickname was Lac-tard.

Wow. I had that wrong.